Being Grown Doesn't Mean You Stop Growing

Being Grown Doesn't Mean You Stop Growing
Learning to grow in mind & spirit no matter how old you are

Friday, April 30, 2010

The View From My Bench





I've been busy lately creating a haven in my backyard. I live in a subdivision with houses all around. I began this particular project a year ago. It's taken quite a while, but it is near completion. I originally just wanted to hide the view of my neighbor's trailer, which has since been relocated. It has now become a private place to sit away from the noise of the air conditioner and hum of the pool filter system. A place to just be alone. I began by digging up the yard and helping my husband put up a lattice trellis. Then I edged it with leftover bricks (from a previous project), put in plants which consisted mostly of daylilies, roses from my mother in law or various things from other parts of our yard. To anchor the bed, I moved an old climbing rose to the center of the bed. This rose has history! It started as a piece of a rose in my mother in laws garden 14 years ago. I planted the piece in the yard of a home we rented. When we moved into our current home (10 years ago) I planted some of it on the east & west sides of the house. I have found that no matter where you plant this rose it puts down some pretty "deep" roots. As it turns out, it is growing well not just in the new bed, but also in its former location.

Last winter a neighbor, put the bench out for trash pickup. My husband brought it home, put a fresh coat of paint on the wrought iron and attached the wood with new screws and bolts. Now, I have a nice bench for my retreat. The roses have started to cover the lattice quite nicely. I've added plants I've discovered at Lowe's & Home Depot, but my favorite plants and the knockout roses have come from the feed store (one of my favorite places). I found the bird bath at the Tractor Supply Store. It's amazing the places you can plunder through when you live in an agricultural community!
In the afternoon, the area is shady (thanks to my husband's boat shed). Now, I'm adding little things that suit my fancy and make me happy. I hope to enjoy many warm days enjoying the flowers, the shade, and the calm while reading or stitching.

I hope you can find a retreat like mine. It is well worth the effort. As things grow and change, I'll give you an occasional glimpse of the view from my bench

1 comment:

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd